Friday, October 06, 2006

All we need is a racoon hat

It’s a bit like being a medic at the Alamo. The battle is lost, but you still patch Davy Crockett back together, so he can go fight another round.

A few days ago, I reserved a nice, warm spot in Hell for myself.
It was a bad day, one of those which much shrieking in pain and very little relief. When the bell rang, I sprinted to the door thinking it might be the doctor or the delivery person from the pharmacy. But nay. At the door were two elderly, smiling ladies in nice and proper dark pleated skirts and cardigans. One of them proffered a thin, psychedelic, sort of familiar looking magazine and inquired, “Have you thought about the Creator lately?”
She flinched a little when my mom gave a particularly loud cry for help just then - she needed someone to take the car off her legs (don't ask).
I just stood there, speechless, for a moment, while my entire spotty relationship with organized religion in general and in particular the theory of the Lord making you suffer if He loves you very much flashed before my eyes. And then I did a horrible thing. I started to laugh. Quite hysterically, I’m afraid. I tried to say something polite or witty or … well, I basically tried to say something, but all the guffawing made it impossible. Finally, I just closed the door, wiping my eyes.
Dear Jehowa’s Witnesses, I can’t say that I particularly like you, but I would have liked to decline politely instead of laughing like a hyena. I know you are very serious about your faith and truly want the best for my soul, even if you do think that the best way to convert people is to bother them by surprise, which is a tad risqué as strategies go. I shouldn't have laughed. Sorry.

So, I think I said there would be FO pictures.

Ages ago, knitcrazy asked about the Garnstudio cardigan. So here it is at long last:


I used 13 balls of Lang Twin (cotton, very splitty, but lovely), and my only real pattern modification was in the sleeve ribbing, where I cast on more stitches to decrease the purl ribs for a bit of flare flair. Other than that I left out the crochet border. I love Garnstudio patterns (I think I've mentioned), and this cardigan knit up like a dream and fits well.

Alors, Clapotis.Done in Lang Silk Dream (9 balls) - and yes, I know that there is one undropped stitch in this picture. It's dropped now :o). I didn't even have time to weave in the ends and block it, because my mom claimed it right away. You know, I've asked her many, many times what I should knit for her, and she never wanted anything. The, a few weeks ago, when she got cold and needed something to put on her shoulders, I found out that she doesn't have a single shawl. Well, she has one now, I only wish she would part with it long enough for me to do the ends. Not happening, this must be one of the world's best-loved shawls. I'm happy.

Pulbic service announcement: Do not make up a sweater as you go along, if you are under extreme emotional stress. Let this be a warning:


I don't know what I was thinking, but I do know what I thought when I frogged that thing. I just can't repeat it in gentile company.

Other than that, I'm almost through with Cinxia. Bad judgement on my part, I'm too tall and ... uh ... top-heavy for this lovely design, but I'm trying to come up with a save.

Now on the needles: Everyday Tweed from The Garter Belt. Go look at their stuff, it's great!

Unfortunately, Everyday Tweed is also acres of stockinette in the round, so I'm thinking of starting a "break knit". Something shawlish perhaps?

1 comment:

theresa said...

Sorry to hear that things are still so dire with you. I have been down that road a couple of times before and know how awful it is. But you do have a gorgeous cartigan to your credit--I love the lines of that pattern. I have the silk you sent where I see it everyday to delight and inspire me. Sending wishes for better days.
Theresa