Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Mail Call

I’ve given up on that ebay search for the time being.
It’s just too crazy before Christmas. The other day I saw a spinning wheel that looked to be in a worse condition than Emma but was not a valuable antique or anything. It went for EUR 170 (that's about $200) . I didn't watch it for bidding though, just out of curiosity. Perhaps this frantic buying up of available spinning wheels is a positive trend, maybe spinning is becoming more popular in Germany, ya think?
Anyway, while it would have been nice to snap up a bargain, there are no bargains to be had at the moment, so I'm going to remain faithful to Emma, rattle and all.

Work was crazy all weekend and yesterday, so there isn't much to say about Christmas present progress - if I could talk about it, that is :o). I could tell you that one Christmas project - the type that may involve afterthoughts, eyes of partridge and the like, if you catch my drift - is going really well with the magic cast-on.

Great technique. Makes for very tidy *that part of the thing I can’t name*. Now I’m looking for a better way to do the other tricky part, because my short rows are too wonky. I don't know if they are proper holes or if I'm too anal about it, but I want to try something different.

In other news, the dyeing saga continues. The candycane effect on my silk/rayon yarn (3.5 kg, did I mention?) was fun while it lasted, but now I want solids. However, for some strange reason, the rayon part refuses to be dyed. I've even written to the manufacturer and asked them if they lied about the contents of this yarn. They say they didn't.

So ...


Next stop: Dylon. In the washing machine. Yes. 500 g of silk/rayon are currently not knowing what hit them, but it is the hot cycle. I also ordered a few new jacquard colours. And the Christmas cookies came with the order :o).

I needed dpns for my Christmas knitting, so ...

In my defense? If you could see my Christmas knitting, you would not blame me for falling for a little colour. This is Regia Canyon Color 2806 and Trekking XXL 107. I wish they'd give their sock yarns nifty names.

I've returned to the dpns for the time being. My favourite technique is still two on two, if you know what I mean, but it makes for rather impractical storage on my overflowing desk.

Also in the mail: a used copy (used, hah! It looks brand new) of Loop-d-Loop. Yes, I'm the last person on the planet to buy this book, but I'm here to tell you that it's still great even years later. First on my wishlist? The paisley carpetbag in Summer Tweed. Sigh.

No comments: