Friday, May 12, 2006

Palling in comparison

Well, I've got my two secret pals - or rather the women who will have me as their secret pal. One from SP8, one from One Skein. Buttons, you say? I know, I know. Getting there.
I'm really happy with the choices the hosts and hostesses made. Both pals seem like very nice, interesting women and their interests and favourite things are stuff I can relate to, but just different enough to make finding the right "spoilage" for them interesting.
I love this idea. And I love giving gifts. It's like miniature Christmas.

In other news. Have I mentioned that I dropped my camera about a week ago? It worked for a bit, if I pressed down on the little lid that holds the batteries in, but now it's dead. That's raaather unfortunate. I had this vague idea that I would get a nicer camera one day (in the very distant future), but now it looks as if I'm once again stuck with whatever is cheapest out there. On the other hand, my little cheap-o Jenoptik did a good job for five years, so who am I to complain?

So, due to equipment issues, today's progress report will be 100% bandwidth-friendly (you just have to know how to put the right spin on a problem - for how-to reference, check out statements on environmental policy issued by the government of your choice.)
Mariposa is done. Even though the measurements were just right when compared to tops I like to wear, it turns out to be a little short on (my) person. So now I'm thinking of attaching some sort of crochet edging for an extra inch, which is not easy, because Mariposa's edges are seed stitch. The only other solution would be longer straps, but that might be a little more cleavage than I'm prepared to show in public.
Also done: socks in Regia Bamboo, toe-up with my own half-butted "so, what do you want to do with these?" pattern. I like the yarn a lot, but I'm not overly fond of the colourway, "Passion". I was told that the 5 colours the store had on display were all this yarn came in, so I chose one, because I wanted to try the bamboo, only to discover later that there are, in fact, 13 colours available. Grrr. I should have known though. I mean, does any Regia yarn have fewer than 10 colours?
(Not having a camera really stinks.)
The Goof Off Scarf is coming along.
Sigh. I really want to start the Meryl Coat from Big Girl Knits. Lovely pattern, and I have the right yarn for it that will work pretty much all year long (with a little layering in winter). Only ... it's miles and miles of stockinette. Again. As was the unfortunate Waterlily. As was Mariposa. As are the eyelash parts of the scarf (and the other parts are 2x1 rib, how riveting). I love the projects, but I'm BORED. I need to find something with at least two different stitch charts. This would be the perfect moment to try a lace shawl, but I haven't got the nerve.
Remember I mentioned the Lang Yarns "Twin" recently? Yeah, I shouldn't have mentioned it to my mom, because she insisted on giving me a sweater's worth. What with treatment costs and care and everything, I don't want her to make these lavish gifts, but she shut me up by telling me that she wants to spoil her girl while she can. Now I can't even look at the yarn without crying. I wish I could make her something wonderful, but I know that most things except very thin cotton nightdresses and PJs make her uncomfortable. She wears the shawl I gave her last winter, but I can tell that it makes her uncomfortable, too, and that she only wears it, because I made it. Same for the socks. I made her a little crochet cosmetics bag last week, because she said she needed something for her hand lotion and assorted things that clutter up her bedside table. Strange, isn't it? Usually, a knitter expresses love by making something fabulous for her loved ones. I express love by not knitting for my mom.
She loves to see me knit though and watch the progress. In fact, we've founded our own Stitch & Bitch group. I sit by her bed knitting, and she tells me stories about the family (and if you knew my family, you'd know that those stories make me lose stitch count on a regular basis).

Hmm, I guess Lang Twin it is, tears or no tears. And I'll find something more "showy" (read: interesting to watch it grow) than the Cinxia I originally intended to make with it (no disrespect intended, I love the Cinxia pattern, but ...). Stay tuned, I'll resolve my camera issues ASAP.

German Mother's Day is on Sunday. My mother issued strict orders to ignore the occasion. I'm not even to mention it in her presence. But here's the thing. I'm fortunate in actually being aware that my time with my mother is very limited and even more fortunate that my life and job situation allows me to spend a lot of time with her. So, y'know, go hug your mom. Or call her to make plans for a visit, if she lives too far away. Or, if your relationship with your mom is strained, try to think of at least one positive thing or fond memory about her.

This gratuitious public service announcement was brought to you by Gratuitious Public Service Announcements 'R' Us.

No comments: