Sunday, May 07, 2006

Secret Pal 8 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I think I said this before, if it's pretty and soft I love it. I can't wear pure wool next to my skin, but wool blends are fine. I'm definitely not a "yarn snob" as they say.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

Straight needles and dpns - a vase on my desk. Circular needles - a dark red fun fur bag that's supposed to be for cosmetics, I think. Crochet hooks, sewing stuff, tape measures etc. - another big cosmetics bag.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I've been knitting and crocheting on and off for about 30 years (mostly off during my 20s, totally ON for the past five years). I'd say my skills are intermediate with an adventurous spirit. Basically I think if I can read the instructions I can knit it. Eventually :o).

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Not at the moment.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

Anything citrus-y or otherwise fresh, like melon, cucumber, green tea (although I still don't know what that smells like, really)

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

See entry about being a big chick :o). Favourite candy: peanut butter cups, bars, bits and pieces. I don't care, as long as somebody's peanut butter is in my chocolate.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I make bead jewellery and I get the occasional paper maché fit in the summer, when I can work out on the porch. I love any crafts involving fabric, yarn, paper, dye, beads and candles. Except, I don't do scrapbooks. I love to look at them, there's some amazing stuff going on, but it's not for me. I've never dyed or spun yarn. I'd love to try, but where I live supplies or classes aren't easy to come by.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I'm so not in the loop where music is concerned. But I like all kinds of music, except the really, really heavy metal and songs where people recommend to kill or rape other people. On my play list right now: "Tyrone" by Erykah Badu, REM cover versions of pretty much anything, "Variations on a Shaker Hymn" by Aaron Copeland, the soundtrack from Chicago, "Lady in Black" by Uriah Heep and "Hard Candy Christmas" by Dolly Parton. Get the picture?
And it's yes on the MP3 thing.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

Deep, rich reds, earth tones, all blues and most greens. I wear a lot of olive gree and terracotta, because they just look really good on me although I wouldn't say they are my favourites as colours, if that makes sense. And I'm a denim kind of girl.
I don't wear white much. And I have yet to find a shade of yellow I like.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

No kids, no pets, though I love both. If I had my way about things, I'd have one kid of each kind, one tuxedo and one orange tabby cat and a pug. A girl can dream :o).

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Love them all, except for the ponchos. Never wore them, never will, because I'd be the Strange Case of the Walking Tent.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I don't really have favourites. Whatever strikes my fancy, with a tendency towards tanks with a cardigan or shrug rather than sweaters, and scarves and socks. One of these days I'd love to try a lace shawl, but haven't worked up the nerve. Oh, and BAGS. Love the BAGS.

13. What are you knitting right now?

A top (Mariposa, from Knitty), my Goof Off Scarf with eyelash yarn and a pair of Regia Bamboo socks.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Of course.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Not particular there either. Whatever works with the project, doesn't hurt my hands or snag the yarn. My knitting needles are mostly INOX, because that's the main brand here in Germany, most of my crochet hooks are US aluminum. Next time I'm in the States, I'll try to get me a pair of those aluminum knitting needles in the funky colours.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

My yarn winder's name is Andy :o). So, no, I own neither.

17. How did you learn to knit?

My grandma taught me to knit and crochet when I was 5. I loved her a lot, and since she died when I was 10, I love the fact that I have a lasting, living memory of her.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?

About three years. A crochet cardigan with too tight sleeves that I need to frog.

19. What is your favorite holiday?

Christmas.

20. Is there anything that you collect?

I collect giraffes and armadillos. You'd be amazed how few things are giraffe- or armadillo-themed.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Since I live in Europe, I covet all things American, as customs officers checking my bags when I return from the States can tell you. Especially all things for making bags, frames, handles etc. I subscribe to Interweave Knitting,and I buy the German magazines at the store.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

See lace shawl above. I'd also like to try hairpin lace and do more felting. I love vintage-style hats, but I have a big head, so felted hats will be my next major ambition.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Love the socks. My feet are huge. I'm 5'11", 180 cm, and wear a size 42 German, 10 1/2 American.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

November 4. (1970, in case you're wondering)

No comments: