Thursday, May 25, 2006

Typing is done without yarn

And a damn shame it is, too.
Sorry about the nonexistent updates, but between work and not having a working camera, it's been a week that hasn't been too blog-friendly. I'm getting kinda tired of those pictureless descriptions, and my new novel doesn't translate itself, either. A big flaw, if you ask me, I wish authors would think of that.
Since the demise of my dictation sweater - not a long story, it's ugly and the yarn sucks - I haven't been knitting anything at work, because I'm raaather tired of stockinette stitch, which is all I can knit without looking or concentrating. I tried dictating Chapter Six with a 2x2 rib, but that didn't work too well with either project.
I think I could be swayed in favour of acres of stockinette by the Meryl coat in BGK, but I can't decide on a yarn - and I also can't put the contenders up here (see above: no camera). Arrgh.

I did manage to find some lovely stuff for my One Skein Secret Pal, only I'm having a hard time with the one skein idea. I got her first skein, but I haven't sent it yet, because I'm still contemplating adding a second one "just in case". I'm a yarn glutton. No, seriously, the idea of giving just one measly ball as a gift to an accomplished knitter is really weird. For a beginner, yes, take this and go play, but ...
I'll get over it.

The Blueberry Bomb is done (I know, I know, I can't give image evidence, I'm working on it). You know, the BGK Cherry Bomb Top in Summer Tweed Blueberry. Lovely yarn, if a little bulky. I made some changes to the pattern. I added a row of eyelets and some additional shaping under the boob part for a tie and fake empire waist, and I made it longer, because I make everything longer (did I mention I'm 5'11"?). For length I added a few rows of the lace pattern from the accompanying Chocolate Covered Cherry Jacket, and it does look nice, if I do say so myself.

The top looked lonely on its own, so I decided to give it the above mentioned jacket as a partner. Finally a use for the lovely but much abused Lang New Angora in a smoky blue with a little touch of purple, so it goes well with the Blueberry, which I've used as the accent colour in the lace. Right now, I'm struggling with the hood.
Does it surprise you, too, when you are doing something right? I swear, at the end of every lace row I'm, surprised that I have the right number of stitches remaining, or when I count my stitches, I'm happily astonished that I do have the number I should have. I'm not making all THAT many mistakes usually (we will not discuss Waterlily at this point), but still the surprise is there.

The owner of the Evil Crack Den gave me a slightly battered copy of Classic Knits for Real Women (German translation)with my Rowan purchase. It's a nice book, but it ain't BGK. I like some of the cardigans - I like cardigans :o) - but there are quite a few project I wouldn't do, not to mention the moment when I saw the loopy pompom hat and thought, wow, they even have a pattern for a Halloween wig. They didn't. They were seriously suggesting a ball-shaped hat covered in lilac loops as a chic look. And you can knit the matching shagpile scarf and handbag. Little hint: do not go out in public looking as if you did cruel and unusual things with your bobtail puppy. It's just not a good look in any size.

The dinner went well. My mom had a blast, and it was nice to see how everybody wanted to sit next to her. My dad's friends are really special people. Many times, my mom gets the reception of "Oh, yes, that's Gunther's poor sick wife", but not with that bunch. They just like her and are happy to see her whenever she can manage it. If you have ever tried to negotiate a situation where you thoroughly enjoyed yourself while at the same time your heart was being shredded, you will know that these occasions are a mixed blessing. But a blessing all the same.

No comments: