Friday, April 28, 2006

10 Crafty Things About Me

(Instead of a progress entry. There's progress, but my camera is half-broken, and I just didn't mess with it today.)

1. I used to sew a lot some years ago. Then I returned to knitting and crocheting, because it means making clothes without the big production sewing turns into (if you do it at the dining table). So, I think that there is basically no garment that can't or shouldn't be knit and crocheted. I very much embrace the notion of knit lingerie and crocheted tuxedos.

2. I'm not a fiber snob at all. I'll work with anything, as long as it's pretty and soft. I'm also not a tool snob. I'll work with anything, as long as it gives me gauge and doesn't snare the yarn.

3. I rarely knit for the people in my life. Unless they ask me for something - enthusiastically. If they do, I'll make them anything they want.

4. I don't think there is a craft I wouldn't love to try. I have tried many and loved them all. Some did not love me back. I am spectacularly talentless when it comes to silk painting, origami and everything involving wood.

5. I don't get the Noro craze. Shun me now.

6. I always have at least five "live" projects going, because I have one for every routine situation of my day. One small "to go" project for public knitting, one by the bed, one by the TV, one for work (the dictation sweater du jour) and one for concentrated escape knitting.

7. While it can take me a while to make the rounds and finish my projects (see above) I only have one abandoned UFO. It's a crochet cardigan that needs to have its sleeves frogged and redone.

8. I'm a part-time perfectionist. Sometimes I will frog the same rown three times until I get that one stitch under the armpit right, other times I call it creative license and thus good enough.

9. I have never bought the original yarn for a project. I like the "designer" patterns, but hell if I buy the € 15 per skein yarn for them. Also, I'm a plus-plus size. That's an awful lot of € 15 yarn. I'm really good at adjusting gauge and cast-on stitches.

10. Right now, knitting and crocheting are my life savers. I would recommend them to everybody in a crisis.

In other news: Waterlily is almost done. But I totally messed up the gauge despite excessive swatching (see above, the thing I'm really good at. Right.) I'll reserve judgement until blocking, but I don't have high hopes for it.

No comments: