Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Still knitting

Sorry about the long pauses between posts right now, but I am still trying to adjust to my new schedule of spending a week with my parents and a week catching up with work. I can't say that I'll always keep the sad stuff out of this blog, since caring for my mom is such a big part of my life right now, but for the moment this is all I have to say:

"Knit on with confidence and hope, through all crisis."

Elizabeth Zimmermann


And there has been knitting. Lots of it. I only had time to take a picture of one project, but I'll try to do more tomorrow.

Better late than never I've started the Waterlily Top from IK Knits, spring issue. It's my current work knit, since the "Dictation Sweater" has reached a point where I have to pay attention to it. Unfortunately, Waterlily has almost reached that point, too.

I might be able to finish the second sleeve of the crocheted hoodie during tonight's episode of Little House on the Prairie (don't ask), so it might be done at the end of the week and I might be able to block it before I leave again.

For some instant gratification, I've been making hairbands. Hang on a sec ...


It's amazing how hard it is to take
a picture of the top of your own head. But you get the idea. It's a light blue cotton with three rows of twisted rib in the middle. I made a few more in other colours and patterns, but they still have to be seamed and blocked.

I've been looking for the right yarn for my first felting project for a while now, and I thought I found it at that great yarn store in my parents' town. Alas, it didn't work out, because after three washer runs and painstaking observation of felting tips everywhere, it still didn't felt properly.

It's not all bad though, because I have some embellishments in mind which will work better with a not too densely felted fabric.
I'll keep looking, but the problem is that whenever I ask whether or not the wool I want to buy will felt, the salesperson feels compelled to reply (indignantly), "Of course not!" Maybe felting needs to become more popular in these parts.

And now I'm off to some pasta and my hoodie.

No comments: