Monday, April 10, 2006

A matter of degree

This morning, I found my perfect dream translation project.

I had mentioned my interest in needles (hee) to one of my agencies a while back, and they were looking for knitting pattern translators, English to German, I'm assuming for a website (agencies don't tell you the specifics, because they don't want you to contact the customer yourself). I couldn't quite believe my luck, when the agency called, and I think my enthusiastic answer blew up the poor woman's eardrum.
So, I swatched, i.e. did a sample translation (of three lines), and all was right with the world. Until it came to the following phone exchange:

Agency: The customer wants to know if you have a degree.
Me: A degree in what?
Agency: That qualifies you for this project.
Me: What do they mean? Languages, fashion design, what?
Agency: I don't know, just something that qualifies you.
Me: Okay, you know my credentials, and as for this project, I have been knitting and crocheting in two languages for 30 years. (With a 20-year intermission, I didn't tell her that.)
Agency: That's not a degree though, they want a degree.
Me: Well, what kind of a degree?
Agency: I don't know. Something qualifying.
Me: Do you think you could just submit my sample and references and see what they say?
Agency: No, they want someone with a degree.
Me: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WOMAN! WHAT DEGREE?!
Agency: Knitting?

People, I am not making this up. This conversation took place at 11:25 a.m. today. It took place in German, but I translated verbatim (although I'm not sure I'm qualified to translate knitting-related text).
So, kindly tell me where I can get a MKA or a KhD, because I'm baffled. What could these people possibly want? I've got the language part covered, so were they actually looking for a Fiber Arts major who happens to work as a translator? Good luck.

I am also really ticked off by this. It was the perfect job (sob)! I love patterns! I know what they mean (most of the time)! I am meticulous (snicker, I can say this here, because you can't see my kitchen). I've got five shelves of bilingual reference material!

What I haven't got is a knitting degree.

No comments: